Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My School District: LKSD




Thought you might want to know a bit about my school district and my school. I work in the Lower Kuskokwim School District which is named for the Kuskokwim River which runs through it. The Kuskokwim River which runs right past my village is approximately 724 miles long and is the 9th largest river in the United States. It is the longest free flowing river in the United States and is the longest river entirely within one state (Alaska). Pretty cool facts, aren't they?

This river provides subsistence fishing for the locals including various types of salmon, which is a staple food in the Yup'ik diet.It is one of Alaska's largest rural districts and serves an area approximately the size of the state of West Virginia. Most of the students are native Yup'ik (which is one of the Alaskan Native Cultures). In my school there is a strong focus on culture and bilingualism (English and Yup'ik). Students study both languages K-12.

My school Qugcuun Memorial School has 31 students: 9 high school, 11 junior high, and 11 elementary students. We have 3 certified teachers, 2 classified (para professionals), and a principal who also teaches.

Although I am officially the high school teacher, we all move around quite a bit. Here is my daily rotation.
1st Period (Reading): My classroom
2nd Period (Writing): My classroom
3rd Period (Algebra I-VTC): Library
4th Period (Ancient History-J.H.): Christina's Room (J.H. classroom)
5th Period (My Plan Period/ Writing): Library
6th Period (U.S. History): My classroom
7th Period (Health): My classroom

The class periods when I am not in my classroom someone else is. We rotate. We are movers and shakers here and do what needs to be done.

The school day is from 8:30-3:45. We have a morning meeting everyday from 8:30-8:45 where we focus on a new Yup'ik word every week and each day we discuss a different aspect of that word. I should post them. It is my daily Yup'ik lesson. We also have announcements and then we recite a pledge, alternating between the Yup'ik pledge and the Kussaq (white person) pledge. Then classes officially start at 8:45am.

No comments: