Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Interesting Foods

Okay, the cuisine here has a local flair to be sure. Berries, of course, are served in a dish called Agudak. It is made by whipping Crisco until it is fluffy and adding oil, sugar,berries and a possible assortment of other ingredients. Some people choose to cut the Crisco with mashed potatoes or perhaps fish eggs. So the recipes vary depending on who is making the agudak. My first sampling was at new teacher in-service my first week and it wasn't really a flavor I wanted to experience again. However, when in Rome... and so, with Agudak as with other local specialties, I have tried them many a time.




alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5394795549836620050" />





Other interesting foods include seal, moose, dried fish, bird (and I don't really distinguish what kind of bird on purpose because it is not always indicated what kind is being served). Most of the meats are boiled and boiling food tends to make the meat a specific texture. I am a true Tactile/Kinesthetic person, so for me food is not only about taste but also texture. Having said that, many of those who know me also know that just because I put it in my mouth does not mean I commit to swallowing. However, I now know that I could definitely make it on Amazing Race because before my biggest concern was not being able to eat/swallow certain things/food. I may indeed have a quick gag reflex, but I can get it down if need be. And, frankly, although some of the new foods I have tried are very different for me, I am so glad I try everything. In the pictures below there is salmon soup which was delicious. In the soup there were salmon eggs and the taste was nice but the texture made the eating more challenging. I did it and enjoyed the tasty soup.




Seal, on the other hand, is a very dense and strong tasting meat. To me it definitely tastes like liver...dark, dense, strong in taste. Because I associate it with liver, it is a little difficult for me to enjoy. I do eat it and hopefully I do that graciously. The flavor will have to grow on me in time.




Dried fish. Apparently most fish can be dried. Here they spend the majority of the summer catching fish and drying them so they can preserve it to eat throughout the year. There are many varieties and they have different tastes. I am starting to enjoy dried fish better than I did in the beginning. I certainly cannot eat as much as the locals, but I do always eat some when I am offered. My favorite so far is the red salmon. SO YUMMY!!! Here, I must say that it is normal to dip the dried fish in seal oil. I've done it once and ,oh, it wasn't pretty. Oh sure, some of you have seen me spit out my food or make a horrible face because I am not one to hide how I feel very well. Oh, this was different. I try to be hospitable and gracious, but that didn't happen. It was TOO strong and my gag reflex (self protection) went into action. I did swallow so I was proud of myself, but the flavor lingered for a VERY long time. So what is seal oil? It is the fat or blubber off of a seal. When a seal is being butchered the fat is kept and as it warms to room temperature it begins to render and turns into a liquid form known as seal oil. I have been told that some oil is stronger than others and I need to try one that is less strong. It is going to be awhile before I try seal oil again.





The picture I have here of dried fish is dried halibut which is from the coast and not caught here in our river.


Although I don't have a picture I also tried whale skin and blubber. Now, that is one I should have had video taped. Nope, Segue was neither swave or subtle in that experience. I was told it would taste and feel a bit like the rubber of a tire and to suck on it to really savor the flavor. Oh my goodness!!! To say I gagged would be a wild understatement.

I immediately sucked on the piece and it popped out of my mouth. Immediately my eyes started to water and I thought I was going to wet on myself. Compared to this seal is super mild!!! Not everyone at the feast was even given a piece because there was a limited amount. I was told not to waste it so I popped it back in my mouth. I was standing and turned to face away from everyone so they couldn't see my expression. They didn't need to...my dancing about and squealing said it all. They laughed at me, but were glad I gave it a try and actually ate it. Of course, I did. Hey, I can do anything. I've always said it and believed it, but know I KNOW IT. I had to try it because where I live it is a delicacy because it is a coastal food and a food we cannot get here. In fact not even all my students have had it so I feel very thankful to have tried it. Still a bit shaken up and disgusted, but that's alright.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lunch break - reading your latest blog - I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. I pictured you dancing around trying to swallow.... I love the way you write.... keep blogging