Sunday, October 2, 2011

Kayaking Again

Over the years I have done my fair share of rowing and paddling in various waters, but you wouldn’t know it if you saw Tiffany and I in Oscarville Slough in our inflatable kayak. You’d hear laughter and see lots of movement in the boat but not distance being made in the water. Why is that? I’ve been told that maybe our choice times of going coincide with the tide making it more challenging paddling up stream. That could have something to do with it, but I think there is more to our challenge. For one, Tiffany and I share the one kayak paddle by unscrewing it in the middle and making two short paddles. Another challenge is the kayak itself. I researched and asked around about what would be best for what I wanted here on the Kuskokwim. I did want an inflatable for ease of transporting, but really I need a water vessel that has ease in the water. I am more accustomed to hard-shelled canoes and kayaks. My kayak is self-bailing which means you sit in water from the get-go. Perhaps not so bad for cool water in a hot place, but cold water in a cold place….I think a wet suit is in order!

Although Tiffany and I were geared up with wet boots and rain gear, we were wet through and through. Yes indeed our waterproof gear keeps the water in and the water out. The trouble is water finds its way between the boots and the pants and makes it way upward and we wiggle and giggle. CranBerry didn’t help matters either because she doesn’t especially enjoy being in the inflatable craft. CranBerry also disliked being wet (as if we delighted in sitting in very cold water), so rather than sit or stand in the boat she straddled the boat by standing on the sides (front paws on one side and back paws on the other). So we tried to move her around thinking it would be easier for us. Oh, no. We guided her to the front of the kayak as we shifted from our bums to our knees and back to our bums. CranB either had her rear end in Tiffany’s face or her front paws on Tiffany’s chest in a reinactment of the famous scene from Titanic.

Just as we were making progress upstream CranB decided to go back to the center of the boat making us giggle and wiggle again, and whenever that happened the paddling stoped and downriver we begin to drift. Laughter echoed in the slough as we bumped into the shoreline trying to hold on to tree limbs while we pulled ourselves together. Tiffany let out a little scream over something green and possible alive. I might have wet myself from laughing so hard, but you’d never know because I was so wet already. We had a few onlookers curious at what the crazy white teachers were doing. One elder saw us and just shook his head. We waved and laughed as we fought our way up current.

When we were ready to head back home all we did was stop paddling and we floated back. How peaceful and relaxing and quick! The current guided us back lickedly split. For all the effort and time it took us to go one direction, it was effortless to return. As soon as the boat hit shore CranB leaped out grateful to be on solid ground. Tiffany and I threw our gear up on the top bank and began pulling the kayak out of the water. We were so full of water that our clothes drug the ground and laughter began again. Thankfully Kalila, one of my students, came by and lifted the kayak out (effortlessly) and helped us put it in the container. What a spectacle we were! I fell over because my pants were falling due to the weight of the water and Tiffany was staggering on the boardwalk. So much fun!!!

No comments: